There are thousands of "Green Living" sites on the web with new ones popping up everyday. Here are some of our favorites.
Calculators, Other Tools and Carbon Offsets
- The Carbon Account – Reduce your carbon footprint and share tips with others.
- RoofRay – An online tool that uses satellite photos to help you design and compare photovoltaic arrays.
- GreenIQ – Measures your carbon emissions and overall environmental footprint. Also includes a blog and other helpful information.
- Carbonrally – Lets you compete in challenges to reduce your environmental impact with others in your area or worldwide.
- COzero – A site that calculates your carbon emissions and then shows you ways to reduce and offset them.
- CO2Stats – Automatically purchases renewable energy for your website based on your site’s environmental footprint.
- 3Degrees – Find out your carbon footprint and then support climate change fighting projects.
- Carma – Online carbon monitoring of power plants and power companies.
- ImprovingYourWorld – Vote for your preferred charity or cause on this site, and they’ll get a portion of donations based on the number of votes they receive.
- JustGive.org – Tools to make charitable giving part of every day life by connecting donors with causes they care most about.
- BringLight – Connects donors with charities who describe specific funding needs, so you know exactly where your money is going.
- Six Degrees – Create online badges and become a celebrity for your cause.
- ChangingThePresent – You can sponsor a pig, help a deaf child, provide clean water, or any number of other tangible charitable gifts through this site.
- CharityNavigator – Independent charity evaluations of over 5,300 American charities.
Communities & Networking
- Edenbee – An online community dedicated to reducing your carbon footprint.
- EcoSpace – An online community of people who want to create positive change.
- 2People – A community aimed at building the public mandate for solutions to global warming.
- Hooze – A community-built site for publishing useful information about the sustainability of products & companies.
- Hugg – User-submitted green news from all over the Web.
- Change – A social network for activism, including environmental activism.
- Hunuh – Community collaboration space where members can submit & discuss green technologies, services and processes.
- Care2 – Green social networking site that includes news, groups, ecards, and more.
- Creative Citizen – An online community dedicated to finding creative solutions for green living.
- Greenopolis – Collaborative and interactive education website that brings together communities, organizations, foundations, corporations and universities to reward people for making positive environmental changes in their lives.
- AlternativeEnergy.com – Social networking, news and more for the alternative energy industry.
Green Business, Money and Careers
- Earth 911 – A site that provides local recycling and product stewardship information.
- Greenopia – A local green living guide.
- Green Map – Maps of green living, cultural, natural and civic resources for communities around the world.
Projects & Action-Based Sites
- 1Sky – An online political action site that is focused on getting the federal government to act on climate change by 2010.
- Catalog Choice – Opt-out of catalog mailing lists to reduce your junk mail.
- ProQuo – Opt-out of junk mail lists (you can also opt-in to offers you actually want to receive).
- GreenDimes – Another service that guarantees to stop up to 90% of your junk mail.
- 41Pounds.org – Stop 80-95% of unwanted catalogs and junk mail. The name comes from the approximately 41 pounds of junk mail the average American adult receives each year.
- stopthejunkmail.com – Fully automated service for opting out of junk mail lists.
- RoadSharing – A carpooling coordination site.
- PickupPal – Connecting drivers and passengers to save money and reduce environmental impact by carpooling.
- RecycleBank – An online rewards points program to encourage recycling.
- Scoodi – Trading, buying and selling locally to keep things out of landfills.
- Throwplace.com – Find a good home for your unwanted stuff instead of throwing it away.
Search Engines, Directories & Guides
- Forestle – A search engine that saves .1 square yard of rainforest for every search you do.
- Greenseng – A search engine that helps offset your carbon emissions through CO2Stats.
- Green Planet Search – A green search engine that also includes recent news, events, and more.
- Twitoosearch.com – An environmentally conscious search engine with a black search background.
- Eco-find – A green search engine that displays eco-friendly living tips on the homepage.
- GreenRenter – A directory of green residential and commercial buildings and rental vacancies.
- EcoTrotters.com – An online guide for ecologically friendly travel.
- Ecocho – A green search engine that plants two trees (offsetting a ton of greenhouse gases) for every 1,000 searches performed.
- Greensie – Another green search engine.
- Green Link Central – A human edited green search engine.
- Greenona – Another green search engine that shows the top 500 searches, top 100 clicked results, and more.
- Low Impact Living – Provides information to reduce your environmental impact, including information on green products and practices.
- Fivelimes – Green living directory, including green products, green news and discussion boards.
- CDM Bazaar – A platform for exchanging information on Clean Development Mechanism projects from the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- blue egg – Eco information directory.
Shopping & Products
- Guide Me Green – An online directory of green companies and brands that includes forums and a newsletter.
- EVO – A site that includes green product ratings, services and information.
- TheFindGreen.com – A green products search engine.
- Greenzer – Green shopping directory.
- Eco Monkey – Eco-friendly shopping directory.
- Rate It Green – A green products directory that features community ratings.
- Greener One – Green ratings for mainstream products.
- GoodGuide – Find environmentally friendly products that are safe and healthy.
- sprig – A super-hip and fashionable resource for your green lifestyle, including food, fashion, beauty and home.
Video & User-Generated Content
- Protect The Human – Site for sharing videos, pictures and links to promote human rights.
- ViroPOP – A video network just for green videos.
A hattip to Mashable.com for presenting some of the best lists on the net
- Pixily – Save paper and trees by organizing your documents online.
- folia – Garden organization app that lets you track sprouting, blooming, and harvests in your garden.
- Green Thing – Sends a monthly email that includes a green thing to do for the month.